How to make a quick terrarium...

What you will need: teeny small succulents, I used 2 per terrarium, cactus soil, gravel, a glass terrarium or glass bowl. I got mine from Urban Outfitters, they don't seem to have the one I got but this is very similar.

Step one: pour a little gravel at the bottom of the glass terrarium. This is for drainage when watering. Don't forget succulents don't need too much water.

Step two: Using a spoon, spoon in a couple of inches of cactus soil. Cactus soil is ideal as it has sand and grit already mixed in which is good for the succulents and cactus drainage. Normal compost should be fine though.

Step three: take the succulents out of the plastic pots and place in the terrarium. Making sure there is enough room for air to circulate and its not too cramped.

Step four: spoon more soil in around the succulents to make sure they are secure and covered. Once ready add a few spoonfuls of gravel to add that desert look. Gives a nice texture to it too.

I think they look great, I was really happy to give these two as presents. However I had to make myself one. Luckily my sister and family gave me the below terrarium for Christmas. I was quick to fill it with succulents!


Labels: , , ,